Where Do Army Helmets Go?— A Strange Equation Called "Military Math"


I lost my helmet

I went into the army later than most. While other guys came in after their freshman or sophomore year of college, I showed up after finishing grad school—married, no less.

So soldiers years younger than me outranked me, and they called me "old man." Being the oldest rookie in the unit made me an easy target for teasing.

I'd just been assigned to my unit when the order came down: report for Team Spirit training—the joint U.S.-Korean military exercise. I'd been pulled out as an interpreter.

Barely settled in, and already being shipped off again—the thought of adjusting to yet another new environment put me on edge.

On my first day at the training site, I was wandering around checking out the base when someone called my name. I turned around—a friend from college!

"Hey! Long time no see. You're here for Team Spirit too, huh?"

Seeing an old friend there, in uniform and in the middle of a war exercise, felt strangely like meeting up on a real battlefield.

He wasn't far from discharge. He teased me for enlisting so late, but he could also see how much I was still struggling with things that had long since become second nature to him.

"I've got your back. Don't worry."

Hearing that warmed something in me and put me at ease. Of all places, running into him here.

Team Spirit was meant to simulate real war, which meant grinding, identical days back to back. To keep morale up, the army allowed soldiers a single family visit.

The day of the visit, my mother and my wife showed up with their arms full of food. I was so happy I could barely speak, and my wife's eyes welled up.

I don't even remember how frantically I ate once the food was laid out. Home cooking, after so long—I ate, and ate, and ate some more.

Somewhere in the middle of all that eating, I noticed my helmet was gone. I looked everywhere. Nothing. My mind went blank.

Did... someone steal it?

My heart was pounding, and suddenly I couldn't taste anything. The home-cooked meal I'd missed so badly turned, in an instant, into a flavourless lump in my mouth.

Worst-case scenarios ran through my head. Extra drills? No, this felt bigger than that. The brig, maybe?

My mother's and wife's smiles clouded over too. The thought of them heading home carrying that worry made my stomach twist.

That's when something slid quietly against my side. The helmet! I turned—my friend was signalling me to stay quiet, then leaned in and whispered:

"In the army, the numbers just have to match."

I stared at him, confused. He whispered again.

"The numbers always work themselves out. Don't sweat it."

He clapped me on the shoulder and disappeared, and my mother and wife made it home safely.

Back in the barracks, exhaustion hit all at once. Seeing family, eating my fill, a brief taste of hell over a missing helmet, then peace again—a full rollercoaster of a day, and now the crash.

Then someone shouted:

"Which bastard stole my helmet?!"

I flinched, hit with a wave of guilt.

Should I just confess and give it back... No. My friend said the numbers always work out.

While the angel and the devil wrestled it out in my head, the helmet's owner stormed out of the barracks, fuming.

Then came roll call.

I looked around—the number of people and the number of helmets matched perfectly. Realizing he'd probably swiped someone else's helmet too, I had to bite back a laugh.

Roll call ended without incident. Still, knowing that someone's helmet was now truly gone for good left me a little uneasy.

I got my answer the next day.

Out at training the next day, everyone had a helmet. There was no telling whose helmet was whose anymore. But everyone stood there straight-faced, as if nothing had happened.

My helmet never came back. But my friend was right. In the end, the numbers matched.


* If you liked this story, you can check out My First Day at a Korean Military Boot Camp.

Author's Note
This story is based on my mandatory military service in South Korea in the late 1980s, with a little imagination added.

* The top image was created by Nano Banana 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting This Blog Again.

Slide for Life