Skip to main content

I Am Taller In My Sixties.


I noticed that my upper back has become slightly crooked because of my job, which demands continuous screen staring and keyboard typing every day except weekends, for several decades.

I decided to start doing pull-ups at the gym every day, just 30 seconds a day. It was really hard to hold the bar even a few seconds the first time. I increased the time day by day, and now I can hold on for about one minute. I am actively building my back muscles now, because after years of poor posture, my back had grown weak.

I now feel that my grip strength is much stronger than before, and I believe I am even taller than before, because my spine feels more extended.

Previously, I started doing push-ups, and I now do 200 a day. I have a bigger chest, shoulders, and arms now. When I ask my students, "How many push-ups can you do at one time?" their answers are usually no more than 10, even though they are in their twenties.

I recommend push-ups and pull-ups to everybody. These are excellent exercises for both young and old people alike.

Years of sitting at a desk, staring at screens, and typing all day had taken a real toll on my posture and strength without my realizing it. The change didn't happen overnight—my first attempt at a pull-up barely lasted a few seconds, and my arms and back simply weren't used to that kind of load. But by practicing consistently, even for a short amount of time, I built up endurance and strength gradually. Now that one minute on the bar feels much more comfortable, I can genuinely see and feel the difference: my grip is firmer, my back feels more supported, and I even feel like I'm standing taller.

Push-ups have made just as much of a difference. Going from struggling with a handful of reps to doing 200 a day didn't happen quickly, but the result shows in the added muscle across my chest, shoulders, and arms. What surprises me most is how out of practice younger people seem to be with basic bodyweight exercises. When I ask my students how many push-ups they can do in one set, most say fewer than ten—despite being in their twenties, an age when building strength should come relatively easily.

This experience has convinced me that pull-ups and push-ups deserve a place in almost anyone's routine. They require no equipment beyond a bar or a floor; they can be scaled to any fitness level by starting small and building gradually, and they strengthen the upper body, core, and back in ways that directly counter the effects of long hours spent sitting and hunching over a screen. Whether you're in your twenties or your sixties, starting with even a few seconds or a few reps and building consistency over time can lead to real, noticeable improvements in strength, posture, and confidence.

Let's stand up and start now!

* The top image was created by Nano Banana 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey: From Korea To Canada

About 27 years ago, my family and I made one of the biggest decisions of our lives—we immigrated to Canada. Like many newcomers, we came with hope, determination, and dreams for a better future. Our primary goal was to provide a better education for our children, a happier and more stable life for our family, and greater career opportunities for me. Although we were excited about the future, starting over in a new country was never easy. Everything was unfamiliar. We had to adapt to a different culture, a different way of life, and, most importantly, a new language. The language barrier made even simple daily tasks challenging. Every day became an opportunity to learn something new, and every small success felt like a big achievement. Before coming to Canada I had already built a solid career in the information technology industry in Korea. I worked for several IT-related companies, including an Apple reseller, a server company, a distributor of computer peripherals, software, and stor...

My YouTube Channel about Digital Technology

I started my career as a ranger instructor before moving to Canada. Since then, I have taught a lot of students who were soldiers, employees, children, or college students from around the world. My students have come from North America, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Even without travelling by myself, I have been able to experience different cultures through my students.  I love teaching, communicating, and troubleshooting.  That's why I started the YouTube channel to help students learn, grow, and succeed. These are the current playlists of my YouTube channel. I'll try to upload as often as possible. If you need any new posts that you are interested in, let me know.  As you can see on the thumbnail, there are six different categories:  Photoshop HTML and CSS Excel Word Illustrator InDesign I'm also planning to add more categories soon, including AI and a career coach.  If you are interested in a specific topic, you can go directly to that playlist to save time. 1. ...

Fiction - I Lost My Combat Helmet

In South Korea, virtually all healthy men are required by law to complete mandatory military service, typically between the ages of 18 and 28. Today the term is around 18-21 months, but in the 1990s it was considerably longer—roughly 27 to 30 months, before being gradually shortened in later years. This series is based on my own experience serving during that era. About to receive my permanent base assignment, I still couldn't get the word “soldier” to roll naturally off my tongue. The training uniform didn’t fit my body well, and my combat boots always felt a size too big or too small. To a private second class who had enlisted only a few weeks earlier, the military was still less a “place to live” and more a “place to endure.” Yet the reason I ended up participating in Team Spirit (1988) training was simple. It was because I could speak English better than other Korean soldiers. That was the only reason. Since it was a joint training exercise with the US military, translation ass...